Happy Friday Ruby girls and guys! We’ve received so many questions regarding caring for skin. Here are some of our top tips!
1. Drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated can help skin appear more supple and radiant.
2. Stay out of the sun or use sunscreen! Sun/tanning damage is not only dangerous in terms of skin cancer, but it causes severe aging. Sun damage can take 15-20 years to show up (check out this article for a visual), but it will catch up with you. Opt for spray tans or sunless tanning lotions for the healthiest summer glow.
3. Don’t use harsh exfoliants daily. We’re talking about the very grainy ones, such as the ones with crushed apricot pit bases. They leave tiny tears in your skin and strip it of necessary moisture. The tiny cuts will harvest bacteria and increase the likelihood of pimples/breakouts. Exfoliate with a soft washcloth or a cleanser that has round beads.
4. Remove your makeup every night before bed. We recommend gentle, soap free cleansers such as Cetaphil or you can use fragrance free baby wipes.
5. Remember that while cleaning skin is important, you don’t want to use harsh cleaners that will leave skin feeling tight. If your skin feels tight and dry after washing, you’ve removed too much moisture.
6. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!
7. Don’t pick at breakouts, this just spreads bacteria and more pimples will show up!
8. Always use a primer; this creates a barrier between your skin and foundation/powder.
9. No smoking :). Smoking not only leads to cancer, but it dulls skin and gives it a yellow/grey hue , causes severe aging, and creates lines around your mouth.
10. Be kind to your skin! The skin on our faces is thinner than the skin anywhere else on our bodies. Be gentle when cleansing and applying makeup.
Keep sending us your questions! We love to create posts that help all of our amazing readers!